Monday, August 28, 2017

Hurricane Evacuation - really bad poem, but my daughter's safe

Lawrence Hall
mhall46184@aol.com

She’s Safe

Until this morning my daughter was safe
For so the city said
But the waters rose, slithering up her stairs
And still the city said she was safe

She was evacuated, first by canoe
Then by an air-boat
Then by a dump truck

She and another evacuee laughed in the rain:
“Now we are the people they take pictures of”

Then by a bus

To a center at Saint Martha’s Church and School
Where someone said she would be bussed again
This time to downtown Houston, for reasons
Best known to some stupid *** of a *****

Her friend’s husband and his big ol’ pickup
Worked around barriers and through high water
And they escaped up the road to Willis, Texas
Tomorrow I will be honored to shake his hand

Long ago, when she left home, I promised
That an old man and two little dachshunds
Would wait for her. I’m even older man now
With grand-dachshunds – but we said we would wait

And we have

Best I can do at the moment
Tears of gratitude
Deo gratias

No comments: