Sunday, February 11, 2018

Napoleon and His Poached Egg - poem

Lawrence Hall
mhall46184@aol.com

Napoleon and His Poached Egg
 
“Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.”

-Father Zossima in The Brothers Karamazov

I am Napoleon now. I want to be
Napoleon, and it is so. I can be
Anything I want to be – isn’t that
The cleverness you’ve always taught to me?

My truth is the truth, and it must be yours
My self-determination - it obscures
Your bogus science and reality
Fiat and fashion my truth thus secures

I am a poached egg 1 now. That’s what I want –
It’s illegal to argue that - so don’t!

1 The allusion to an argument in C. S. Lewis’ Mere Christianity is well known.

No comments: