Friday, February 9, 2024

Let's Meet Again at the Robin Hood Oak - poem

 

Lawrence Hall, HSG

Mhall46184@aol.com

 

Let’s Meet Again at the Robin Hood Oak

 

1.

 

In my boyhood, to the Robin Hood oak

I tip-toed in those hot summer afternoons

With my three sharp arrows and my little bow

Craftily eluding the sheriff’s men

 

I softly whistled and waited, and then anon

From out of the sun-shimmering heat

From out of the merry magical greenwood

An answering whistle sighed through the air

 

Great skill at making a bow or a plan -

I was a favorite among Robin’s band

 

2

 

In my old age, to the Robin Hood oak

I slowly walked in lonely afteryears

Carelessly, for I was a baron now

With my ownership and my walking stick

 

I whistled and waited, and waited more

From out of the sun-shimmering heat

From out of the merry magical greenwood

There was only a silence, a silence sad

 

Little boys grow up, and then must disappear -

And that’s okay; the magic is forever here

No comments: