Sunday, October 25, 2020

Children on an October Evening - poem

 

Lawrence Hall

Mhall46184@aol.com

https://hellopoetry.com/lawrence-hall/

poeticdrivel.blogspot.com

 

Children on an October Evening

 

We lay in the grass and counted the stars:

 

There must be a hundred of them

A million

A billion

A gazillion!

 

Nuh-uh, there’s no such number as a gazillion

Yeah-huh, I betcha there is – but I can’t count that high

You don’t have to

Maybe the stars can count themselves

 

Are there spacemen out there beyond the moon?

Are maybe over there beyond the trees

It’s okay; I’ve got my Roy Rogers cap pistol

Dale Evans can shoot as good as Roy!

 

Can not

Can too

Can’t

Can

 

My daddy says we’re getting a tv

We can watch the stars on tv

I betcha this is better

You’re just mad ‘cause you don’t have a tv

 

Do you see the man in the moon?

I think it’s a girl

A girl in the moon! Don’t be silly!

Well, what do you see, then?

 

The moon is so big and round

But sometimes it isn’t

But it is right now. It likes us

And there’s Peter Pan’s second star to the right

 

I don’t want to grow up

We have to

Why?

I don’t know. It’s a rule

 

Will there be pirates and Peter Pan?

And pancakes on Saturday morning?

I don’t think so

That’s not fair

No comments: