Saturday, December 5, 2020

DaddyPaw's Letters from the CCC Camp - poem

 

Lawrence Hall

Mhall46184@aol.com

https://hellopoetry.com/lawrence-hall/

poeticdrivel.blogspot.com

 

DaddyPaw’s Letters from the CCC Camp

                           For George (“DaddyPaw”) Hargrove, Hebo Ogden Hall,

And all Who Served in the Civilian Conservation Corps, 1933 - 1942

He found his DaddyPaw’s young adulthood

In a box of letters from New Mexico

About fighting forest fires and building fence

To the stockyards at Magdalena

 

“The peas must be coming in by now,” he writes

“Are yall getting enough to eat? How’s my dog?

I’ve got swell friends but I sure wish I was home.

And did yall get the five dollars I sent?”

 

We stand in reverence of a generation

Who almost never had enough to eat

No comments: