Monday, March 8, 2021

The Bishop Speaks of Lent as Basic Training - poem

 

Lawrence Hall

Mhall46184@aol.com

https://hellopoetry.com/lawrence-hall/

poeticdrivel.blogspot.com

 

The Bishop Speaks of Lent as Basic Training

 

“Rise and shine and greet the new day, **** ****s!”

“Roll your socks to look like little p*****s!”

“Byda leff, byda leff, byda leff right leff…!”

“Shoulder-fired, gas-operated, semi-automatic…!”

 

“My gramma was slow but she was old!”

“SIR! I am a cockroach, SIR! Cockroach, SIR!”

“Don’t let your piece fall to the ***-**** deck!”

“Get up! You ain’t got permission to faint today!”

 

“You call this clean!? My ****’s cleaner than that!”

“You don’t **** until I tell you to ****!”

“Step over that *** ***** son-of-a-*****;

I didn’t give no one permission to die!”

 

And the ancient liturgical El chant:

 

“This is my rifle; this is my gun!

This is for fighting; this is for fun!”

 

His Grace speaks of Lent as recruit training -

Maybe, with a nice white wine and the dover sole

If not the soul,

He thought that up in his first-class from Rome

No comments: