Tuesday, August 2, 2022

If I Win the Lottery - poem

 

Lawrence Hall

Mhall46184@aol.com 

https://hellopoetry.com/lawrence-hall/

poeticdrivel.blogspot.com

 

If I Win the Lottery

 

Above all, don’t lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.

 

-Fr. Zosima in Book II, Chapter 2 of The Brothers Karamazov

 

If I win the lottery, which is unlikely

Because I never buy a ticket, you know

I’m going to have cases of the Modern Library edition

Of The Brothers Karamazov shipped to me.

 

For the rest of my life I will give copies

To everyone I meet: men in red plastic caps

Mensheviks, Bolsheviks, vegetarians

A lonely soul waiting at the bus stop

 

Dostoyevsky for everyone

If I win the lottery

No comments: