Thursday, November 17, 2022

Saint Joseph and Ice Cream - poem

 

Lawrence Hall

Mhall46184@aol.com

LogoSophia Magazine – A Pilgrim's Journal of Life, Literature and Love

Fellowship & Fairydust (fellowshipandfairydust.com)

https://hellopoetry.com/lawrence-hall/

poeticdrivel.blogspot.com

 

Saint Joseph and Ice Cream

 

“I thought I heard you saying it was a pity…I never had any children…But I have, you know … Thousands of ’em … thousands of ’em…”

 

-Goodbye, Mr. Chips

 

In memory of a happy summer morning with Abbie and Alexander in Ottawa

 

Every man is a father after the Order of Saint Joseph

Every child is his to nurture and protect

A man must practice wisdom and honor

In order to pass them on to a new generation

 

And there is something to be said for ice cream -

I was entrusted with two little children

For a walkabout around Parliament Hill

“And give them nutritious snacks,” their mother enjoined

 

Most strictly enjoined

 

I asked myself what good Saint Joseph would do -

Surely he would buy them an ice cream each

 

And it was so

And now you know

No comments: