Thursday, February 2, 2023

Appropriating Babushkas from the Orthodox - poem

 


Lawrence Hall

Mhall46184@aol.com

Poeticdrivel.blogspot.com

Logosophiamag.com

Hellopoetry.com

Fellowshipandfairydust.com

 

Appropriating Babushkas from the Orthodox

 

(upon the first Sunday home from the hospital)

 

A babushka badly in need of a hearing aid

Asked me if I would sub for the missing lector

I apologetically said I really didn’t feel up to it

And would she please ask somebody else.

 

I tracked her progress back to the narthex by sound:

 

“HE SAYS HE DON’T WANNA HE’S SICK!”  “HE SAYS HE DON’T WANNA HE’S SICK!” “HE SAYS HE DON’T WANNA HE’S SICK!” “HE SAYS HE DON’T WANNA HE’S SICK!” “HE SAYS HE DON’T WANNA HE’S SICK!”  “HE SAYS HE DON’T WANNA HE’S SICK!” “HE SAYS HE DON’T WANNA HE’S SICK!” “HE SAYS HE DON’T WANNA HE’S SICK!”

 

But it’s all good; God gives us babushkas

To show us that the Faith, like the babushkas

 

Will never go away

No comments: