Friday, September 13, 2024

Tropes, Dopes, and Culture Worriers - poem

  

Lawrence Hall, HSG

Mhall46184@aol.com

 

 

Tropes, Dopes, and Culture Worriers

 

I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. 

 

-Tolkien, from a letter rebuking a German publisher, 1938

 

 

One does not imagine Tolkien schlubbing about

In a garish cartoon tee and baggy shorts

A Glock strapped to his 50-inch waist

Shopping the dollar store in a Trumpy cap

 

One does not imagine Lewis following QAnon

Encouraging Peter to take an AR to Latin class

Or quartering the Cross of good Saint George

With a swastika’s spidering wheel of shame

 

Not all evil comes from outside the Shire –

Sometimes evil is our own internal desire

 

On the time J.R.R. Tolkien refused to work with Nazi-leaning publishers. ‹ Literary Hub (lithub.com)

 

Why does Lord of the Rings appeal to the radical right? – The Irish Times

 

Behind the Catholic Right’s Celebrity-Conversion Industrial Complex | Vanity Fair

No comments: