Sunday, July 26, 2026

An Existential Bus Ride on the Periphery of Heaven - poem

 

Lawrence Hall

Mhall46184@aol.com

Dispatches for the Colonial Office

LogoSophia Magazine – A Pilgrim's Journal of Life, Literature and Love

Home - Hello Poetry

 

An Existential Bus Ride on the Periphery of Heaven

 

 

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

With your one wild and precious bus ticket?

 

-As Mary Oliver did not say in “The Summer Day”

 

 

Is this the right bus? Where are you going?

 

I boarded the bus outside Balboa Park

With Tolkien and Lewis smoking their pipes

 

Missed a stop along University Boulevard

Because I was listening to Pasternak

 

Got off the bus at Horton Plaza (there was no Hoo)

Because McKuen wanted to roam the rainy streets

 

Boarded again a few hours later, but

Spenser refused to sit next to a Catholic

 

I told him I really enjoyed The Faerie Queene anyway

He thanked me and autographed my death sentence

 

McMurtry said, “This ain’t Texas, you know;

You can’t even see Texas from the back of the bus”

 

Frankl replied, “But there is meaning in a bus”

De Chardin suggested that all bus-ness is coming together

 

Yevtushenko declared that the bus was all about him

Eliot thought there might not be a bus at all

 

My ticket ran out at Mission Beach, and so did I

Outside a bikini shop where the loungers ask

 

Not about the meaning of life, but rather

“Spare change? Spare change?”

No comments: