Sunday, August 23, 2026

"I Don't Know What's Going on in There!" - poem

 

Lawrence Hall

Mhall46184@aol.com

Dispatches for the Colonial Office

LogoSophia Magazine – A Pilgrim's Journal of Life, Literature and Love

Home - Hello Poetry

 

“I Don’t Know What’s Going on in There!”

 

 

“Oh, you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!”

 

-Marvin the Martian in a Bugs Bunny cartoon

 

 

The convention would be to say he stormed out of church

But in his time of life he can’t storm at all

Except maybe like Marvin the Martian

(If Martians suffer arthritis and age) while I held the door for him

 

(No, not for a Martian, for a creaky, cranky old earthling)

 

“You saw me come in! I came to Mass! Now I’m going out!

I don’t know what’s going on in there! It’s all a mess!

And I don’t have to put up with it! I’ll watch Mass on t.v.!”

I never learned what was going on in there

Divine services are like that – what do we really know?

But he, and I, and you – we just do our best

No comments: