Friday, September 10, 2021

Saint Augustine's Stolen Apples, My Dead 'Possum - poem

 

Lawrence Hall

Mhall46184@aol.com 

https://hellopoetry.com/lawrence-hall/

poeticdrivel.blogspot.com

 

Saint Augustine’s Stolen Apples, My Dead ‘Possum

 

Saint Augustine reflected on the sins of his youth

The stolen apples especially bothered him

In his life-long penance and his quest for truth

That memory, somehow, was especially grim

 

As for me I remember a long-ago night

When I flung a dead ‘possum at Miss Cates’ door

I know that such a thing just isn’t right

But she was mean and old (maybe twenty-four)

 

Saint Augustine’s sins hung about him like weights

And I –

I don’t feel bad about tormenting Miss Cates!

 

 

(My friend Gordon and I found the ‘possum as ripe roadkill, and the deed quickly followed the inspiration. I did the tossing because Gordon was the getaway driver. Miss Cates was a brand-new teacher and probably quite nice. I do know that we were little jerks and that she deserved better. Gordon won the Silver Star in Viet-Nam, was a good husband and a beloved stepfather, and died in early middle age.)

No comments: