Sunday, September 26, 2021

Treadmills, Exercise, Open Cars, Champagne, and Cigars - weekly column, 26 September 2021

 

Lawrence Hall, HSG

Mhall46184@aol.com

 

Treadmills, Exercise, Open Cars, Champagne, and Cigars

 

The panther-like litheness of my youth (cough) long ago expanded into the, oh, prosperous look of Chaucer’s merchant, and so I have gotten into the excellent but Calvinistic habit of well, treading along a treadmill every day. That’s what you do on treadmills; you tread. The treadmill upon which I tread is inside in the air-conditioning and under a ceiling fan, so there is little chance of me being run over by some of the race cars here along Beer Can Road and County Dump Extension.

 

Some people find exercise invigorating. I find it tedious.

 

My old…um…legacy treadmill was pretty flashy in its time, with red crystal lights telling me what speed I have chosen, how far I’ve wheezed…um, walked…how many calories I’ve burned, and how long I’ve been a good lad each session.

 

Tedious.

 

Television ads now show us show modern, high-tuned machines that are so ‘way cool that they are not even called treadmills. Treadmill – so declasse’. Sniff. They are given brand names that are just noise-labels, like some cars, and feature computerized Orwellian telescreens with moving pictures of different roads you can pretend to run on and with some really buff athletes yelling cliches at you:

 

“C’MON; YOU CAN DO IT! YOU’VE GOT THIS! JUST A LITTLE MORE! KEEP GOING! PUSH YOURSELF HARDER! DARE TO BE GREAT! YOU’RE RUNNING TO THE FUTURE!”

 

And blah, blah, blah.

 

Nevertheless, she persisted with cliches on the sides of made-in-China coffee cups.

 

If you’re going to exercise, do you really need or want someone yelling bogus recorded slogans and abuse at you?

 

Someone who likes being yelled at while running might want join the Army, Marines, or Navy. I was in the Navy and occasionally we did time with the Marines, much to the embarrassment of the Marines, so there was twice the verbal abuse while exercising. 

 

If my mama could have heard some of the vulgar things the mean old CPO and the mean old sergeant yelled at us she would have had some choice words of her own to say to them, and they would have felt pretty darned silly, yessir.

 

I have set before my, oh, heritage treadmill a television set. While treading the road of life I watch DVDs of The Bob Newhart Show. There isn’t much yelling, and although Bob and Emily occasionally jog or play a little tennis, that’s about it.

 

In Chicago today, of course, Bob would get LOTS more exercise in dodging the gunfire. Let’s call it nation-building.

 

In a scene from Chariots of Fire the candidates for the Olympics jog down a country road as their friends in the pace car smoke cigars and drink champagne while urging them on.

 

Now that’s the kind of exercise I can go for.  No, no, not the running, the riding around in an open car smoking cigars and drinking champagne.

 

-30-

 

 

No comments: