Tuesday, February 15, 2022

For Jack on his 16th Birthday - poem

 

Lawrence Hall

Mhall46184@aol.com 

https://hellopoetry.com/lawrence-hall/

poeticdrivel.blogspot.com

 

For Jack on his 16th Birthday

 

Music, Magic, and Father Brown

 

In the long ago I was reading a book

(And doubtless thinking many brilliant thoughts)

Sitting in my car outside Our Lady’s Church

Waiting for some old-lady meeting to end

 

And suddenly, silently, there you were

A little boy standing at my shoulder

Peering through the window, and then you said

These thoughtful words: “You look like Father Brown.”

 

And suddenly, silently, here I am

Standing at your shoulder and looking up

For now you are taller than I – and that

Is in the nature of how things should be

 

But a blessing now on your birthday, you see

For you and Cate are always a blessing to me!

No comments: