Friday, February 18, 2022

More Real and More Beautiful - poem

 

Lawrence Hall

Mhall46184@aol.com 

https://hellopoetry.com/lawrence-hall/

poeticdrivel.blogspot.com

 

More Real and More Beautiful

 

“This is still Narnia, and more real and more beautiful than the Narnia down below, just as it was more real and more beautiful than the Narnia outside the stable door!”

 

-Lucy in C. S. Lewis’ The Last Battle

 

More of the old family land is to be sold off

Forests of my childhood and happy fields

Where breezes still ripple the summer grass

Soon to be beaten and carved as lots and plots

 

The bales of hay, each barefoot day – all lost

And down the hill where runs a magic rill

My Sherwood Forest will be cleared of good trees

Its dreaming paths overlaid with sewers and streets

 

And along the fence little tufts of grass

Where all those noble dogs of long ago lie buried

My companions in all adventures

Awaiting my whistle to roam with me again

 

Well, I will pack them and all my childhood up -

And someday pour them from a golden Cup

No comments: