Monday, July 18, 2022

The Dachshund and the 'Possum - doggerel, with emphasis on the dog

 

Lawrence Hall

Mhall46184@aol.com 

https://hellopoetry.com/lawrence-hall/

poeticdrivel.blogspot.com

 

The Dachshund and the ‘Possum

 

I let the dog out for her night patrol

To sniff the boundaries and take a stroll

 

But out in the dark, beyond the cat

That was where an old ‘possum was at

 

The dachshund stiffened; she was filled with rage

She charged the enemy; she snarled, “ENGAGE!”

 

I commanded the dachshund to let it go

With bark and bite and snap her answer was “no”

 

The fierce dachshund growled; the old ‘possum hissed

I grabbed for the dog but obviously missed

 

I went back inside to take a shower

Thinking to give the stupid dog an hour

 

And so it passed; her allotted time is up

The standoff continues ‘tween ‘possum and pup

 

At dawn it may be that one is dead –

I’ll find out then; for now I’m off to bed!

No comments: