Saturday, October 7, 2023

Southern Belle Antiques 'N' Stuff - poem, a little East Texas Gothic

 

Lawrence Hall, HSG

Mhall46184@aol.com


 

Southern Belle Antiques ‘N’ Stuff

 

(Slow sibilant bathroom-slipper-shuffle)

 

“Oh, don’t close the door, honey, oh no

If the door is closed no one will know I’m open

English Romantics? Here’s an Edgar Allan Poe

I read lots of books myself; do you like westerns?”

 

(Dark narrow paths tunnel through dark moldy heaps)

 

“I paid fifty dollars for that bolt cutter

It’s almost new; I bought it for my daddy

My brother locked him out of his own house

You can have it for twenty; I live upstairs”

 

(The shambling slippers follow me to the door)

 

“It’s a shame that girls don’t play with dolls anymore

Come back anytime; I’m mostly open”

No comments: