Sunday, November 28, 2021

We'll Trade You One Stealth Fighter for a Billion Vaccine Jabs - weekly column, 11,28.2021

 

Lawrence Hall, HSG

Mhall46184@aol.com

 

We’ll Trade You One Stealth Fighter for a Billion Vaccine Jabs

 

A number of sources, including the Guardian (A new Covid variant is no surprise when rich countries are hoarding vaccines | Gordon Brown | The Guardian) are blaming the new Covid variants on “rich countries” (that invariably means you and me) for hoarding vaccines.

 

Poor countries, you see, can’t get any vaccines because Canada, the U.S., the U.K., and France are keeping them all, rather like Gollum clutching that ring while chanting, “My precious! My precious!”

 

I suppose I’d better dig up those sealed barrels of vaccines I buried in my back yard and turn them over to Medicins sans Frontieres (who also blame us) with an abject apology.

 

And you, good friends, need to check your closets and cupboards for all those bottles of vaccines you’ve stockpiled next to pallets of toilet paper, bottled water, and the complete collection of Wheel of Fortune: The Lost Episodes. Gather all those vaccines and turn them over to the INTERPOL officers who will land at the nearest intersection in unmarked UN helicopters.

 

You can tell they’re UN helicopters because they’re unmarked.

 

In truth, I aver that I might be the only man in America who admits he doesn’t know doodlysquat about the coronavirus.  I know only this: I have occasion to sit in the same room with nurse practitioners, nurses, physicians, and physicians’ assistants, all of whom attended real medical schools, not The University of Google, not The University of Gossip, and not The University of Some Loudmouth on Television. I listen to what the nurse practitioners, nurses, physicians, and physicians’ assistants who are in the room with me tell me about all sorts of medical topics affecting my brief life on this earth, and I do what they recommend. They know medicine. I know them. I trust them. As Martin Luther (otherwise not one of my favorite people) said, “Here I stand; I can do no other.”

 

The only other medical thing I know is that the full-body scanner that beamed across me last summer in a room that looked like the bridge of the starship Enterprise had all sorts of pretty little lights on it and made soft, susurrant, soporific sounds that almost put me to sleep.

 

Oh, and I can operate a Band-Aid.

 

But that’s it.

 

Given my trust in professionals with whom I can speak face-to-face rather than screen-to-screen, I tend not to believe the metaphorical medical mudslides on the InterGossip. The idea that a gang of Snidely Whiplashes in Washington, Ottawa, London, and Paris are withholding vaccines from poor nations who don’t seem to be so poor that they can’t afford the latest weaponry appears to be just another variant on blaming others for one’s own failings.

 

Pharmaceuticals are developed and manufactured by companies interested in their profits. They want to sell drugs, not lock them away in a variant (so to speak) of Uncle Scrooge’s money vault. The leaders of companies and countries are not always the most ethical, but it is not in their interests, whether in profits or philanthropy, to withhold vaccines from other nations.

 

Beyond that, those nations who focus on accumulating weapons and Swiss bank accounts could probably vaccinate all their peoples against all sorts of diseases by foregoing a single new jet fighter.

 

But then, prudent budgeting should obtain here too: how many luxury aircraft and armored limousines does ONE president need?

 

-30-

 

No comments: