Friday, May 22, 2020

Conversation with the ‘Possum Who Sees my Garden as its Salad Bar - poem

Lawrence Hall
mhall46184@aol.com
poeticdrivel.blogspot.com

Conversation with the ‘Possum Who Sees my Garden as its Salad Bar

We wretched humans are always setting traps
Usually for each other, but sometimes
Live-traps for the little critters of night:
“’Possum, I want you out of my garden.”

The ‘possum replies, “Hiss!”

“’Possum, you’ve been in this trap all night long;
So now if I let you out of this cage
Will you promise to be a better critter,
And leave my tomatoes alone, okay?”

The ‘possum replies, “Hisss!”

“’Possum, I know that these fields are your home,
But if you keep nibbling up the young squash
I’m going to take you away into the woods
And let you loose there; I wouldn’t like that”

The ‘possum replies, “Hissss!”

“’Possum, we’ve had this conversation before;
Do you want all this on your permanent record?”

The ‘possum replies, “Hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!”