Wednesday, January 31, 2024

"My Oath of Enlistmant Does Not Have an Expiration Date" - well, yeah, it does

 

Lawrence Hall, HSG

Mhall46184@aol.com

 

“My Oath of Enlistment Does Not Have an Expiration Date”

 

Well, yeah, it does

 

If it doesn’t then I’m out of uniform

If it doesn’t then I’m absent without leave

          (54 years – you’d think someone would have noticed)

If it doesn’t then I need to report to base

If it doesn’t then I must obey President Biden

 

If it doesn’t then I must obey all officers

          (Is that a shavetail ensign at my door?)

If it doesn’t then the manual of arms…

          (With a walking-stick? Really?)

If it doesn’t then I gotta get up at 0400

If it doesn’t then my Sperry Topsiders need a shine

 

I left my oath of enlistment in Viet-Nam

There, with the memories of many dear friends

It will rest in peace without any regard

For someone else’s made-in-China slogan tee

No comments: