Thursday, January 25, 2024

When It Comes to Shakespearean Scholarship - This isn't It

 

Lawrence Hall, HSG

Mhall46184@aol.com

 

Avon Man and the Mystery of His First-Best Bed

 

I gyve unto my wief my second best bed…

 

-Attributed to Shakespeare in his will. Or Churchill. Or Milton. Or Elvis. Or Some Famous Man. And Shakespeare was secretly a Catholic. (No, he wasn’t.) (Yes, he was.) (No, he wasn’t.) (Yes, he was; I read it on the InterGossip.)

 

That second-best bed doesn’t matter a pop

Those anyones whoever slept in it are deads

Memorialized as dashboard bobbleheads

At Ye Olde Anne Hathawaye gifte shoppe

 

Kinge Richarde nevere cryede, “mye kyngdome fore ye bedde!”

Yea, goode olde Sirre Erpinghame joked, “Now lye I like a kynge”

So what’s the deale withe the firste-beste bedde thynge?

Thatte seconde bedde is where the Widowe rested hir hedde

 

Ande thusse ye scholares maken withouten cessatione
Unsupportede argumentes and allegationes

No comments: