Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Polysyllabic Aspirational Bourgeois Vanity (and, like, stuff) - poem (of a sort)

 

Lawrence Hall, HSG

Mhall46184@aol.com

 

Polysyllabic Aspirational Bourgeois Vanity

(and, like, stuff)

 

Surrealism

 

A melting clock is not aesthetically pleasing

Nor is it of any utility

It celebrates chaos instead of life

And bullies us with a manifesto

 

Surrealism

 

Gives pale aesthetes topics for their idle hours

Surrendering imagination to cliches’

The endlessly self-referential I, I, me, me

(Another double-latte, if you please)

 

Surrealism

 

The republican’s derivative art is but

The emperor’s new clothes turned inside out

 

 

(And have you seen my serial takes on Greek ikons re-imagined and re-envisioned as diatomic forms through vegan egg-tempera on recycled barn wood as a repudiation of hidebound colonialist oppressivist occupationist Orthodoxy by sequencing monks on Mount Athos as agnostic Jewish fast-food workers influenced by the works of Dali and the Rapallo poets through a motif of running wedges in asymmetric lines from a cosmopolitan image of Heaven to a day-glow Wal-Mart beside a sea of transcendental bubbles which symbolize my feelings when my latest grant was canceled? Hmmmmmmm? Of course the straights don’t get it; their lack of imagination is why they stopped The People’s funding I deserve so that I can make great art chiding them for being dullard capitalist mechanicals. I do take all major credit cards for my works.)

No comments: