Monday, January 22, 2024

An Apology to Brazos Bookstore on Banned Books Week - poem (sort of)

 

Lawrence Hall, HSG

Mhall46184@aol.com

 

An Apology to Brazos Bookstore

on Banned Books Week

 

Oh, our descendants will burn with bitter shame
to remember, when punishing vile acts,
that most peculiar time, when
plain honesty was labeled 'courage’

 

-Yevtushenko, “Conversation with an American Writer”

 

Dear Brazos Bookstore:

 

Several years ago I wrote you a polite note

Suggesting that you were a bit hyperbolic

On the touchy subject of banning books

“This is America,” I said; “it doesn’t happen here”

 

I was wrong

I apologize

 

And you are brave

 

Cordially,


 

 

 

Brazos Bookstore

www.brazosBookstore.com

2421 Bissonnet St, Houston, TX 77005

 

(I have no professional connection with Brazos Bookstore, that wonderful, independent purveyor of books and an agora of ideas.)

No comments: