Monday, March 16, 2020

A Clumsy Sonnet in Praise of a Neighbor's Chainsaw - sonnet and a MePhone photograph

Lawrence Hall
mhall46184@aol.com
poeticdrivel.blogspot.com

A Clumsy Sonnet in Praise of a Neighbor’s Chainsaw

- from an idea suggested by Ingrid

A pine tree fell on Eldon’s bob-wire fence
And I showed up to help in some small way
The branches and needles were thick and dense
The ponies and horses galloped over to play

When Eldon fired up his manly chainsaw
The limbs and needles then shivered in terror
The ponies and horses backed away in awe -
Eldon blitzkrieged that tree, and that’s no error

For when a tree gets crossways of a Stihl
The tensile strength of a woody cell wall
Can never stand against the woodman’s skill -
Down must come branches and needles and all

But the ponies and horses realized too late
They’d have to go back behind the fence and gate!


(I have no connection with the rugged Stihl; I use this effective backyard electric Oregon):



3 comments:

Verlie Burroughs said...

Very manly man. I have an electric chainsaw with a 14 inch bar, maybe I should write a sonnet?

Verlie Burroughs said...

Oh wait! I see yours is electric too, Indeed, I must write a sonnet.

Lawrence Hall, HSG said...

Do so! It would be fun to read!

I fear chainsaws; I have one only of necessity because the Good Ol' Just Plain Workin' Man can't be bothered even to take a few minutes and make a bid on a project.