Thursday, December 30, 2021

6 January 2021: To Ask to be Exempt would be Unreasonable - a poem of sorts

 

Lawrence Hall

Mhall46184@aol.com

https://hellopoetry.com/lawrence-hall/

poeticdrivel.blogspot.com

 

6 January 2021: To Ask to be Exempt Would be Unreasonable

 

 

“Death . . . comes for us all, my lords. Yes, even for Kings he comes…”

 

-St. Thomas More in Robert Bolt’s A Man for All Seasons

 

 

A slip of paper which I have since misplaced:

 

“SARS coronavirus 2 RNS

Detected”

                   Detected

                                      DETECTED

Me? But I’m special (my mother always said so)

 

“If you have a question regarding your…”

Well, no, I guess not. Time to pause and think

To ask to be exempt would be unreasonable

But will my corpse be stored in a reefer truck?

 

To ask to be exempt would be unreasonable

And so

What must I do in service to God and man?

 

 

 

I wrote these clumsy lines in January after my daughter recovered from the CV; she almost died of it. My pharmacist was diagnosed at about the same time as I was, 6 January, and died within two weeks. My wife was quite ill for a week but recovered. Some fifteen friends and acquaintances died from it this year. One friend died in a three-hospital shuffle, and because of the paperwork his body was not released to his family for months.

 

Vaccines, as you will remember, were available to Congress in December of 2020 but not to most citizens until March of 2021 (AOC gets coronavirus vaccine on social media, as Congress begins to receive Pfizer injections | Fox News), and  (The Distribution Timeline for the COVID-19 Vaccine | coronavirus (utah.gov)).

 

My symptoms were only something like a prolonged bad cold, an undeserved mercy.

 

The CV is real.

 

May our new year be free from it.

No comments: