Saturday, July 4, 2020

Veterans Drinking Coffee at the Angkor Wat Happy Doughnut Shop on the Fourth of July - poem

Lawrence Hall
mhall46184@aol.com
poeticdrivel.blogspot.com

Veterans Drinking Coffee at the Angkor Wat Happy Doughnut Shop
on the Fourth of July


Everything else was closed, so here we are
At the next table three textbooks are spread:
Physics, Algebra II, and Calculus
The owner’s kid, wiping counters today

Come-from-away children cook and clean, sweep floors
And in between their chores are at their books
The native-born are still abed, asleep
In a smart-phone hangover of lethargy

Last night a man rattled on about glory
He wasn’t with us on the Vam Co Tay

3 comments:

Verlie Burroughs said...

Happy Fourth of July!
I wonder what 'theme' you are using on your blog? I like the layout and want mine to look like this.

Lawrence Hall, HSG said...

Thanks. I love my country in spite of all.

I don't know anything about electronics; this is a Google (I think) basic blog matrix which even a dullard like me can kinda / sorta make work. I just follow the instructions.

Verlie Burroughs said...

Thanks, I doubt you are a dullard. I will muddle my way through, so far not getting the results I want.
πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸŽ†