Monday, May 30, 2022

The Road, The Tao, The Way - poem

 

Lawrence Hall

Mhall46184@aol.com 

https://hellopoetry.com/lawrence-hall/

poeticdrivel.blogspot.com

 

The Road, The Tao, The Way

 

“The road goes ever on and on”

 

-Tolkien

 

There is of course the Road, the Tao, the Way

And traveling it grows difficult with age

Or maybe now it travels more for us

But still the Road, the Tao, the Way leads on

 

When I was young over my shoulder I slung

A canvas bag with a toothbrush and a book

A pen, some poems, and dreams that wrote themselves

And I smoked my pipe and sang as I marched

 

Some have walked with me, and I with others

Most of them have walked ahead, and are gone

I think they are waiting for me among those stars

Who lighten and brighten as the sun sails away

 

At dusk Yeats and I talked about the Road

He said he thought there might be a poem

 

No comments: