Thursday, May 26, 2022

Will No One Friend Me on MyFaceSpaceBookToc? - poem

 

Lawrence Hall

Mhall46184@aol.com 

https://hellopoetry.com/lawrence-hall/

poeticdrivel.blogspot.com

 

Will No One Friend Me on MyFaceSpaceBookToc?

 

“Hitherto at least I have stood in the front ranks of all that is progressive in Europe,

and here the new generation positively ignores me.”

 

Pyotr Miusov in Part I, Book II, Chapter V of The Brothers Karamazov

 

Oh, let it go, Miusov; we are the old men

We used to laugh about when we were young

Though getting old was not part of my master plan

I seem to have grown old – and you did too

 

We attended secret meetings and scribbled free verse

Whispered “What is to be done?” to each other

Pitied the Proletariat over our wine and cigars

And scorned our elders – we thought ourselves clever

 

Yes, let it go, Miusov; we are the old men

Left here remembering what might have been

 

No comments: